Primary Care Division
Alex Nguyen and Josh Ferrari
Division Chairs for Primary Care
Dental volunteers serve every Tuesday in the primary care clinic. Volunteers will screen patients for cancer and perform intra-oral and head and neck exams to determine the appropriate diagnosis and treatment. After collaborating with the attending doctor the volunteers will then provide education and the appropriate referral that best suits each patient.
Dental workgroup leaders serve as the liaison between the volunteers, dental preceptors, Dental Lifeline, and the DAWN clinic. They ensure that there are volunteers scheduled for each night and that patients are referred to and followed up upon after each appointment. Workgroup leaders will recruit other dental professionals to become preceptors and actively search for new resources, supplies, and equipment to better serve DAWN patients. They also collaborate with other dental students and the different health professions within the DAWN clinic to help provide opportunities to expand DAWN and foster future relationships.
- Margeaux Black, Workgroup Leader
- Riley Johnson, Workgroup Leader
- Simone Favor, Scheduling Liaison
- Brooke Martinez, Dental Lifeline Liaison
- Bushra Omar, Safety and Risk Management Liaison
MD / PA / NP
MD/PA/NP volunteers serve as student providers in the weekly primary care clinic on Tuesdays. Volunteers collaborate interprofessionally to treat patients with acute medical concerns or chronic diseases. Tasks include taking patient histories and performing physical exams, discussing cases and developing plans with attendings, providing preventative health education, writing patient notes into the EMR system, and coordinating patients’ care plan.
- Phoebe Lamb, Workgroup Leader
- Molly McCullough, Workgroup Leader
- Clayton Hoffman, Workgroup Leader
- Alyssa Shepherd, Workgroup Leader/Preceptor Recruitment
Nursing students are an integral part of treatment teams every Tuesday night at Dawn. We work interprofessionally with MD and PA students in assessing and gathering patient information including medical and social histories and medication reconcilliation. We perform basic and focused assessments and collaborate on presenting reports and developing a care plan for patients with our interprofessional team member and preceptors. Additionally, our volunteers are present at the triage station where they assess vital signs on each patient. Nursing students play a large role in educating patients about current and new diagnoses and serve as advocates for patient-centered care.
- Alexander Dorman, Workgroup Leader/Scheduling Liaison
- Crystal Santos, Safety and Risk Management Liaison
- Megan Meyer, Scheduling Liaison
- Alex Schlapman, Workgroup Leader
Pharmacy students will be present in the clinic every Tuesday night. First year students are able to shadow second, third, and fourth-year students but are unable to volunteer directly at clinic. Second-year students work at triage with interprofessional teams to ensure medication reconciliation is performed on all patients as well as administer immunizations to patients in need. Our third and fourth-year students work with the interprofessional student teams and preceptors to provide medication recommendations and counselling for both acute and chronic disease states
- Darwin Ta, Workgroup Leader
- Laikana Ly, Workgroup Leader
- Cecelia Nguyen, Workgroup Leader
- Somalia, Safety and Risk Management Liaison
- Jarrett Bremmer, Scheduling
Workgroup leaders on the PT side manage all of the PT workgroups and serve as a liaison between PT and PCP/Tuesday nights. Clinic Directors are responsible for managing the PT night managers, student volunteers and quality improvement for PT nights.
- Maddie Burns, Workgroup Leader
- Trevor Dalton, PT Clinic Director
- Deana Gordon, PT Clinic Director
- Aimee St. Martin, Safety and Risk Management Liaison
Diabetes Education works to support Type 2 Diabetics, identified within the Aurora patient population, through our presence in the clinic, and education regarding nutrition, exercise, and medications outside of Clinic nights. We work closely with groups within the community to identify high-risk pre-diabetic groups, working closely with ADA in providing access to Diabetes Prevention Programs (DPP) and free exercise courses. Diabetes Education has a specialty night on the 3rd Monday of every month.
- Christine Castillo, Workgroup Leader
- Gabriel Leo Villavicencio, Workgroup Leader
- Robert Foster, Workgroup Leader
- Emily Gammill, Safety and Risk Management Liaison
The Health Equity Workgroup focuses on how we can be intentional about providing patient-centered, population-aware, and culturally humble care for our patient populations. Our current projects include partnering with Denver Public Health and Rocky Mountain CARES to provide TB testing and treatment, HIV testing, and PrEP counseling to all of our patients. Our future projects include implementing Cultural Competency/Humility training for all volunteers at DAWN, improving our training for volunteers working with interpreters, and making DAWN a more LGBTQ+ inclusive care environment. We welcome student volunteers and faculty mentors from all disciplines and backgrounds.
- Josh Miller, Workgroup Leader (TB/HIV)
- Alecia Morgan, Workgroup Leader (TB/HIV)
- Denis Ohlstrom, Workgroup Leader (Cultural Competency)
- Ivana Vasic, Safety and Risk Management Liaison
The Behavioral Health team at DAWN focuses on a co-visitation model in supporting our medical collogues in recognizing and screening for any mental and behavioral health risk factors. Some may dismiss stressful or emotional concerns in the face of unknown medical symptoms. Our team strives to recognize how medical symptoms relate to biological, psychological, and social factors in patient’s health care. Our team is in the clinic every Tuesday night and schedules follow up visits with individuals as needed.
- Ethan Banner, Workgroup Leader/Safety and Risk Management Liaison
- Pippa Tucker, Workgroup Leader
- Sebastian Harvey, Workgroup Leader
- Sophia Fidai, Workgroup Leader
Brendan Thammarath, Hunter Lacouture, Annalise Gammerstorf, Samuel Merrill, Kaden Parks
Division Chairs for Subspecialties
The MD/PA/NP, nursing and pharmacy volunteers work under DAWN’s network of subspecialist providers seeing patients during the monthly specialty care clinics. Subspecialty workgroups provide exams, consultations, testing, and support to patients with related acute concerns or chronic diseases.
Rheumatology: 1st Monday
Dermatology: 1st Monday
The Dermatology workgroup provides consultations, exams, and testing for patients concerned skin, hair, or nail abnormalities. We perform punch biopsies, excisions, steroid injections, skin scraping, etc.
- Sophia Hu, Dermatology Workgroup Leader
- Sophia Wolfe, Dermatology Workgroup Leader
Neurology: 1st Wednesday
Optometry: 1st Wednesday
Pulmonology: 1st Wednesday
- Adriana Buiga-Stoian, Workgroup Leader
- Ellen Boyle, Workgroup Leader
- Carly Farr, Scheduling Liaiso
Cardiology: 2nd Wednesday
The Cardiology Workgroup provides consultations, exams, and testing for patients concerned with their cardiac health.
- Meredith McKenna, Workgroup Leader
- Quy Tat (Rita), Workgroup Leader
- Zihan Feng, Workgroup Leader
- Taylor Neilson, Workgroup Leader
- Luke Kim, Workgroup Leader
Ophthalmology: 3rd Monday
The Ophthalmology Workgroup work with patients with any complaints of acute or chronic vision disturbance or loss or are diabetic/pre-diabetic. We perform eye exams and vision testing for, prescribe prescription lenses, and diagnosis and treat eye diseases (glaucoma, macular degeneration, cataracts) or provide referrals for surgery if necessary.
- Emmeline Kim, Workgroup Leader
- Elizabeta Orysheva, Workgroup Leader
Women’s Health: 3rd Wednesday
The Women’s Health / Reproductive Health Workgroups aims to provide the Aurora population with Women’s Health resources including Contraception, Family Planning Services, and OB-GYN Specialty services through contacts and organizations already available within the community.
- Hattie Scott, Workgroup Leader
- Stacee Horwitz, Workgroup Leader
- Christina Cheung, Workgroup Leader
LGBTQ+: 4th Wednesday
- Carlos Lopez, Workgroup Leader
- Paige Holtz, Workgroup Leader
- Lisa Viltz, Workgroup Leader
Patient Coordination Division
Shengh Xiong and Courtney Pos
Division Chairs for Patient Coordination
The role of the Care Coordination workgroup at the DAWN Clinic is paramount as we ensure that patients understand the next steps in their care, receive follow-up care, and are able to connect with the appropriate referrals. As patients’ first point of contact with the DAWN Clinic, Care Coordinators also check-in with patients about follow-up screening tests and appointments. A large part of our services involve connecting patients to housing, food, employment, insurance, tobacco cessation, alcohol cessation, etc. services in the community. By ensuring efficient acquisition and sharing of patient records, our workgroup establishes partnerships and referral systems with local community organizations.
- JJ Ready, Workgroup Leader
- Elyse Handley, Workgroup Leader
- Meredith Ware, Workgroup Leader
- Sarah Neff, Safety and Risk Management Liaison
The registration workgroup at DAWN Clinic works at the very front line of the clinic. We are there to welcome patients, assist with registration/check-in process, and make sure they feel at home throughout their visits.
- Gordon Matthewson, Workgroup Leader
- Jeffrey Olson, Workgroup Leader
- Hunter Schumaker, Safety and Risk Management Liaison
Scheduling has two important roles: 1) Managing the master schedule for each clinic night, and 2) Onboarding and welcoming all new volunteers. All individual workgroup schedules go through Scheduling so that volunteers who attend clinic can be coordinated for shifts at DAWN. All new volunteers are welcomed and oriented initially through Scheduling as well, including community members, working professionals, and students. They receive their volunteer paperwork/immunization forms and are guided through choosing workgroups.
- Khoa Nguyen, Workgroup Leader
- Katie Palmer, Workgroup Leader
Quality and Safety Division
Division Chairs for Quality and Safety
- Veronica Hernandez-Ramos, Workgroup Leader
- Caterina Zagona-Prizio, Volunteer Recruitment
- Cleo Whiting, Safety and Risk Management Liaison
- Ahtziri Rodriquez Pena, Workgroup Leader
As the public face of the DAWN clinic, the Community Engagement workgroup acts as liaisons for DAWN among our patients and community partners. Community Engagement aims to better integrate the DAWN clinic into the surrounding Aurora community by developing connections between DAWN and community organizations. Ultimately, we aim to create an expansive body of resources for our patients and cultivate an environment at DAWN where patients feel more autonomy over their health.
- Gia Zoller, Workgroup Leader
- Halimah Hamidu, Workgroup Leader
Responsible for administering Practice Fusion, DAWN Phone and Fax services, the dawnclinic.org website and email systems, and other technical issues for the clinic.
Long Term Outcomes Research
Conduct research studies evaluating DAWN’s care and impact on patients and volunteers. Oversee all research projects within DAWN via the DAWN IRB. Provide consulting support to other workgroups on their projects.
- Jessie Barclay, Workgroup Leader
- Lexie Pratt, Workgroup Leader
Safety and Risk Management
- Amanda Charlton, Faculty Liaison
- Grachelle Gonong, Undergraduate Student Liaison
Testing and Supplies
- Khoa Nguyen, Workgroup Leader
- Garrett Breazeale, Safety and Risk Management Liaison